3 Year Married Permanent Resident Citizenship Requirements

Citizenship Requirements for 3 Year Married Permanent Resident

Have you been a legal permanent resident (green card holder) and married to a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years? If you answered “yes”, you may be eligible to apply to become a citizen of the United States. Are you curious about the citizenship requirements for a three year married permanent resident? You have certain benefits as a legal resident, but there are several rights and responsibilities only available for U.S. citizens.

As a U.S. citizen, you gain the right to vote, travel more freely with a U.S. passport, are eligible for jobs and elected offices requiring citizenship, and are free from the threat of deportation. Naturalization (the process of becoming a citizen) allows you to sponsor your family members (parents, siblings, and married children) who want to join you and your spouse in the United States.

Check Your Eligibility. What are the citizenship requirements?

You qualify for naturalization if you:

  • Are 18 years old or older
  • Have basic knowledge of U.S. government and can pass a civics test*
  • Have been physically present in the U.S. for 18 continuous months (out of the past 3 years) before your application date
  • Speak, write, and read basic English*
  • Demonstrate good moral character

*Some exemptions apply in certain circumstances

Note: if you were instead looking for the citizenship eligibility requirements for 5 year permanent residents please see this link

Apply to Become a U.S. Citizen!

Road to Status is here to help you complete the N-400 Application for Naturalization to become a US citizen. If you are ready to begin your citizenship application, learn more here about how Road to Status can make your application process faster and easier. Our software will guide you through each step of your process. It usually takes about six months after you apply to become a citizen – so start your application today!

The Pathway to Citizenship

Once you submit your application to USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services), they will schedule a biometrics appointment for you, and then an interview at which you will take the U.S. Citizenship test. You may travel while your application is pending because you are still a Permanent Resident, but you MUST be present at your USCIS biometrics appointment, your interview, and your Naturalization Ceremony. You should also make sure that if you leave you still have enough continuous presence to qualify for naturalization.

After passing the civics test, your English test, and your interview, USCIS will schedule you for a Naturalization Ceremony where you will take the Oath of Allegiance, and officially become a citizen of the United States!


how to get a green card

What to Expect With Your USCIS Biometrics Appointment

When you apply for most any USCIS immigration benefit (Green Card, U.S. Citizenship, work permit) you will be required to pay an $85 Biometrics Fee along with…

form G-325A Biographic Information

Citizenship Requirements for 5 Year Permanent Residents

Have you been a legal permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 5 years? If you answered “yes”, you may be eligible to apply to become…


How to Apply for US Citizenship

Do you want to apply for U.S. citizenship? If you do, you will need to complete USCIS form N-400, the Application for Naturalization. Naturalization is the process…

See Our Resource Centers For All Information and
Tools We Have For These Immigration Applications

Road to Status™ is changing the way America processes immigration applications because the old way simply doesn’t work.

Road to Status™ provides immigration applicants with high quality, affordable immigration tools that are easy to use, secure, and accessible anywhere. Watch a short video to see how it works here. When needed, licensed and vetted immigration attorneys are available to help. Learn more here and sign up FREE for updates and critical immigration reform news and alerts.

The newsletters and articles found in this blog are offered only for general informational and educational purposes. They are not offered as and do not constitute legal advice or legal opinions.

Leer en Español