Lost Green Card? Here’s How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Green Card

There are multiple reasons why you may need to renew or replace your Permanent Resident card (green card). You are likely reading this because you have a lost green card or your previous one was stolen or destroyed.

The process for replacing a stolen or lost green card is similar to the process for renewing your green card via USCIS Form I-90.

However, there are a few extra steps to consider doing to ensure a speedy resolution to replace your lost green card that are listed below.

(Under those steps are frequently asked questions people have in regard to replacing their green card. If your question isn’t answered on this page, please use the ‘Contact Us’ button on the bottom of your screen so we can best help you get the answers you need.)

Additional Steps to Take When Replacing a Stolen or Lost Green Card

Step 1: Contact your Local Police Station

File a report to your police station that your green card has been misplaced or stolen.

USCIS may request more information from permanent residents looking to replace a lost green card. A police report often qualifies as the type of additional documentation that satisfies USCIS for lost or stolen green cards.

Filing a police report also increases the chances that your original green card can be found and returned to you without needing to replace it.

Step 2: Gather Documentation About Your Green Card

Just as USCIS may want to see a police report for your missing green card, they may also request to see a copy of your original green card, your Permanent Resident or green card renewal approval letter, other legal forms of identification, and/or a written account of how your green card was stolen or lost.

It may be easiest for you to gather this information now before filling out the Form I-90 to replace your green card as opposed to back-tracking to find it after USCIS requests additional info from you.

Step 3: File an I-90 Form Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card [REQUIRED]

While steps 1 and 2 are optional, they are strongly recommended. Step 3 is not optional as you must file this application with USCIS in order to replace your green card.

As of December 23rd, 2016 the USCIS fees for filing an I-90 are $455 plus an $85 Biometric Service Fee.

Due to various application errors and omissions, USCIS has reported that about 8% of applications are rejected. An even greater percentage of applications are delayed due to potential errors.

Because delays and rejections can be costly (in terms of time, money, and the potential to create long-term immigration problems), we recommend doing what you can to ensure the complete accuracy of the application you file.

Road to Status can help you prepare your Form I-90 through an easy to use software application. You will be guided through your I-90 application with simple questions and step-by-step instructions.

We believe in our software so much that we have a 100% fee reimbursement guarantee that USCIS will accept your application when you prepare it through Road to Status.

Check your eligibility for free now and then sign up to complete your application.

We will be by your side every step of the way and you can start your green card renewal application here.

Alternatively, you may download the Form I-90 application from USCIS and prepare the application on your own.

You can check the processing times for your USCIS location here.

The stamp can be obtained by scheduling an InfoPass appointment at your local USCIS office. The stamp can be valid for up to one year. See that link to see the documentation you will need to apply for the I-551 stamp.

If you have your Case Receipt Number, you may check the status of your application here: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

If you or someone you know is interested in learning more about renewing a green card or checking their eligibility for the benefits of these paths, our blog is a great place to find up to date information and useful resources. Additionally, if your case is more complex and you would like to speak with a licensed immigration attorney, you can learn more about the benefits of an initial consultation before deciding on the best path for you here.


Can I Apply for Citizenship with an Expired Green Card?

Can I Apply for Citizenship with an Expired Green Card?

Green Card Renewal

Green Card Renewal

How to Get a Green Card Through Your Family

How to Get a Green Card Through Your Family

See Our Resource Centers For All Information and
Tools We Have For These Immigration Applications

Road to Status™ is changing the way America processes immigration applications because the old way simply doesn’t work.

Road to Status™ provides immigration applicants with high quality, affordable immigration tools that are easy to use, secure, and accessible anywhere. Watch a short video to see how it works here. When needed, licensed and vetted immigration attorneys are available to help. Learn more here and sign up FREE for updates and critical immigration reform news and alerts.

The newsletters and articles found in this blog are offered only for general informational and educational purposes. They are not offered as and do not constitute legal advice or legal opinions.

Leer en Español